Bringing art and music to the streets
Pianos About Town brings spontaneous music and local art to the streets of Fort Collins.
Pianos About Town started in 2010 as a collaboration among Bohemian Foundation, the Downtown Development Authority, the City of Fort Collins, business owners, and community members. Since then, more than 77 pianos have been collected, decorated, and placed into rotation at sites throughout Fort Collins.
Donated pianos are provided to local artists, who work outdoors in Old Town Fort Collins to transform the pianos into visual art.
Members of the community are free to observe the work in progress and are invited to chat with the artists to learn about their skills and techniques.
Once completed, the pianos take on their new status as interactive public art.
Scattered among 20 locations across town in the summer, and six locations in the winter, the pianos offer surprise interruptions of color and music across Fort Collins. The whimsical painted pianos beckon to passersby and invite them to make and listen to music together.
Follow Pianos About Town on Facebook and Instagram for more information.
Interested in painting a piano?
The Pianos About Town program is seeking artists or artist teams to paint or artistically decorate pianos in 2017.
Apply to Paint or artistically decorate a piano
This year for the first time, the program will offer two different sessions designed to provide resources for potential applicants; however, neither session is required in order to apply. The deadline to apply is March 6, 2017.
Session I: Presentation and Q&A
- Date: Thursday, Jan. 31, 2017
- Time: 6-7:30 p.m.
- Location: The Music District, 639 S. College Ave., Fort Collins
- This session will include a presentation at 6:30 p.m. about the application and review process. Ren Burke, a past Pianos About Town artist, will offer tips to new and returning applicants. Handouts will be provided and program staff will be available to answer questions during the rest of the session. An RSVP is appreciated but not required. Click here to RSVP.
Session II: Open House and Application Review
- Date: Tuesday, Feb. 21 2017
- Time: 4-6:30 p.m.
- Location: Community Creative Center, 200 Matthews St., Fort Collins
- At this drop-in session, staff will be available to sit with applicants one-on-one to review applications and make application recommendations. Staff also will be available to provide general information for applicants who were unable to attend the first information session. Information about other artist opportunities offered by the City of Fort Collins will be available.